Bylaw of Caltech Chinese Association (Aug.5, 2018)
‘Caltech Chinese Association’ or ‘Caltech C’.
To promote friendship and cultural interaction as a non-political, non-profit and independent organization.
All currently-registered Caltech undergraduate and graduate students. Other members of the Caltech community, such as staff, faculty, spouses and JPL staff are also welcome as affiliates. The ratio of student members to affiliate members is at least 60%/40%.
1) The executive committee, consisting of President, Vice President, Treasurer and various activity Chair;
2) Off-campus coordinators;
3) Honorary Presidents.
V. Election and Term:
1) Election meetings are held every December, on which one member with the most votes is elected as President through anonymous voting by attending members. Office term is twelve months. Eligibility of candidates:
- Current Enrolled Caltech students;
- Willing to serve all members;
- Nominated by no fewer than three members;
2) Off-campus coordinators are recommended by Congress;
3) Senior members are selected by the Congress to be Honorary Presidents.
VI. Duties of Executive Committee:
1) Formulating and announcing detailed schedule for the term;
2) Managing routine activities, including:
For spring term: Chinese New Year party, spring break party and end-of-school-year party;
For fall term: welcome-new-student party, Moon Festival celebration, New Year’s party; Throughout the year: hiking, sports and academic activities
3) Raising funds and asking for donations;
4) Major issues should be decided by either joint meeting or all-members’ meeting;
5) Executing resolutions of joint meetings and all-members’ meeting; The latter override the former in case of discrepancy;
6) The executive committee edits and publishes ‘Members’ Communication’;
7) Presenting to members and publicizing on ‘Members’ Communication’ the financial report on departure from office.
1) The amending of bylaw is directed by Chair of Congress.
2) Amendments are debated by joint meeting, and become effective after being approved by two thirds majority of the voting members.
3) Amendments approved are directly edited in the main text and submitted to Caltech Student Club Registration and Caltech Bursar office. The original bylaw before amendment should be archived.
*1) On IV2, V2, VII: All members should be notified in advance of time, location and schedule of meetings. All attending members have equal voting rights; (1/89)
**2) On V1c: Not having served for two terms in the executive committee; (1/90)
***3) 4) 5) On membership qualification and fee: added to text III3, III4, III5; (5/91)
#6) On election of executive committee (V1): Election meetings are held every December and June, officers-elect should resume duty one month thereafter. (5/91)
^7) During the transition period (2018-2019), the elected President for 2018 Fall has the right to override V1 and skip the election in December 2018.